RESPECT is an Irish registered charity and was formed in 1995 to manage fundraising to help improve the lives of those with disabilities. RESPECT fundraises to improve the independence of people in the care of the Daughters of Charity Disability Services in two key areas:
- To change the living environments of residents from old style institutional care to a more independent community living environment;
- To investigate the powerful positive changes that Assistive Technology can bring to the lives of people with Intellectual Disability and Autism.
Through the vision of Sr Martha Hegarty, RESPECT formally established the DOCTRID research programme in 2010 to undertake collaborative research in the area of Intellectual Disability and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Under the guidance of its current director Sr Zoe Killeen, RESPECT supports the DOCTRID research programmes by continuing to raise valuable funds. In particular, RESPECT are co-funding 60% of the €9M ASSISTID programme; the remaining 40% is funded by the European Commission.
RESPECT has fundraised over the years to introduce improvements to various aspects of the lives of the Daughters of Charity services users. Some of the funds raised were used to obtain matching funds from Government to be able to provide up-to-date community style living quarters for residents, other smaller projects include the provision of transport services between facilities.
Some notable achievements:
St Louise's residential, Catering and Day Centre
St Joseph's Centre, Clonsilla
For more information, please visit www.respect.ie